Friday, January 8, 2010

New Year's Bash Day 8 - Brigit Aine


Everyone please welcome the wonderful Brigit Aine!

Thank you to Tir for having me today. I was sitting at work wondering what to blog about…promotional, seasonal, general…all the “als”…and as usual was having trouble coming up with something that I felt was worth discussing.

This is a general issue with me. I could tell you about the book coming in March with Eternal Press or the one I am currently working on that involves Gods and Demons…or the two I have outlines for and hope to get done in 2010 as well. Or I could tell you about my New Year’s resolutions, but none of that struck me as where I wanted to go this time.

I was also thinking I should tell you about Sensual Treats, the FREE quarterly magazine that Denyse Bridger and I put out that is a fabulous read with author interviews, short stories and other exciting features. This can be found at Sensual Treats and we had a great Holiday Issue. We also have a very special Valentine’s Day issue coming out. But as you can see that doesn’t take a whole lot of time or space.

So I still have the issue of what I should be talking about. As I was pondering this issue it came to me, right out of the blue. I know what I want to talk about. I want to talk about reviews and why they are so important especially in this time of e-books. As you all know we have entered a fabulous age where there are new books of various lengths and genres coming out daily. There are small publishers and large ones, those who publish in e-book format only and those who do both e-book and print. There is now something for everyone and almost everything can be found in an affordable format for the reader. This is where the reviews come in. Because there is so much out there and so many different books to choose from readers are having a hard time figuring out who to buy from or even just which authors to pick up.

While authors and publishers will promote and blog about new books they have out they can only do so much. They will send their books to review sites and get back books with ratings, 4 stars or 4 cups or 4 angels or any number of other such reviews, but the most important reviews are the ones the readers themselves write. Those are the ones that other readers will find the most helpful and take the time to read. These are the ones the authors also find most helpful because it lets us know what you as a reader are looking for or liked in a book.

If you are a reader and you have discovered an author that you absolutely love then by all means write a review, post it on the publisher’s site or your own blog, or Amazon.com or just send it to the author. These are the most meaningful to the authors. The ones that are honest but not brutal just to be mean. The ones that readers send that show how much they liked the book or the author’s style, those are the ones that as authors we take to heart.

So the next time you pick up a book, new author or not, take a few minutes when you finish to write a review and then get it out there. You never know who is looking and might pick that book up next thanks to what you said.

My first book was with a publisher that no longer does erotic romance. The book is now a free read and available at: Sensual Treats just click on “Red’s Wolf”.

Come follow me on Facebook and Twitter at Brigit’s World.

Brigit Aine

http://www.brigitsworld.com

http://www.brigitsworld.blogspot.com

6 comments:

Pamela Hearon said...

Brigit,
Your post is spot on! I love getting reviews:-) I hold my breath every time one comes in, but it's so exciting to find out other people's reactions to what I hold so close to my heart.

Thanks for bringing that to our attention today!

Pamela

Colleen Love said...

I agree, Brigit! I love hearing from readers probably more than a review site, because it seems just a little more personal.

Glad to see that we will be getting more stories from you this year!!

Big hugs
Colleen

Brigit Aine said...

Thanks guys. It was something on my mind because even though Red's Wolf is a free read I would love to hear people's thoughts on it...and I keep getting reviewers reviews still and I love them.

Franny Armstrong-ParaNovelGirl said...

Love the cover of 'Red's Wolf'. I'll bet the woman never did a dish in her life though with those nails. LOL

I agree about the reviews. Having a reader comment on your book warms your heart and helps you strive for better.

Good luck, Brigit. May you sell a million books this year!
Hugs
Franny

Cate Masters said...

Great post, Brigit! I love reviews for the same reason, especially because I'm so new to the ebook world. I would love for more readers to leave reviews, or email me with feedback.
Sounds like 2010 will be a busy one! That's great! Best wishes for your success.
And I'd love to hear more about the Gods and Demons release... :)
Cate

Brigit Aine said...

Thanks Cate and Franny...

Cate I'll be finishing up Justice for Leanne (Gods and Demons) soon and I'll be able to tell you more at that point...