Thursday, January 7, 2010

New Years Bash Day 7 - Welcome Pamela Hearon!


Today we have Pamela Hearon. Pamela is the author of The Timestone Key, available from Lyrical Press and is here to tell us a little about herself and her writing. She answered a few questions for us. Welcome Pamela!


1. Tell us a little about yourself. Do you have a "day job?"


Writing is my day job now. Yay! I retired in June after a thirty-year career in education. I have a MA in Education with a major in Counseling, so some of those years were spent as a counselor. That time gave me a great deal of insight into the problems people face and how they deal with them, which serves me well when writing conflict into my stories. The last fifteen years I spent teaching Language Arts to 8th graders. When people ask me how I could stand the little twerps, I've always said that you either love 'em or you hate 'em, and I just happen to be one of those people who love 'em. They are very blunt, but their bluntness helped me develop a very thick skin which came in handy when rejections of my manuscripts started coming in the mail. Thirteen-year-olds are very quirky, and writing quirky characters is one of my favorite things. A well-known editor recently described my voice as "compellingly quirky." I take that as a compliment!


2. What made you want to become a writer and how long have you been writing?


I've always been a writer, writing stories as far back as I can remember. My family is a group of avid readers and my dad has always been a bit of a poet. My mother wanted me to major in Journalism, but that wasn't the kind of writing I wanted to do. I wanted to make up my own "facts," not be bound by what really happened.
I started seriously writing toward publication about six years ago after I finished the first draft of The Timestone Key (available now from Lyrical Press) . The time was right and the story was right, and my huband encouraged me to submit it for publication. What I didn't realize at the time was how dreadful my writing was--long streteches of detailed narrative, almost no dialogue (I was afraid to write dialogue then. Now, it's my favorite part!). I had a lot to learn. But I found RWA and a fabulous critique partner, and I started taking on-line writing classes. Before long, I was able to whip the wip into shape and start entering contests. After a few finals and wins, I was ready to submit the ms. in earnest.


3. What is your favorite genre to write?


The answer to that depends on which mood I'm in. I'm torn between romantic fantasy and single title contemporary romance, so I write both. My brain spins both ways, it seems. I enjoy convoluted plots with interesting secondary characters and subplots. If that leads me to an alternate universe, that's okay with me.


4. Do you have any particular writing rituals? Any snacks you must have while writing?


I have a laptop and can write anywhere, but the Florida room on the back of my house is my favorite place to write. It has windows on three sides, and the view from there is beautiful and serene. We live in a small town in a rural area, and our back yard is surrounded by woods and fields. The only major distractions when I'm in that room are the deer and the birds. It's cool in the summer, snuggly warm in the winter, and my favorite place in the world to be when it's snowing. Mmmmm.

I don't generally like noise when I'm writing, but three years ago my CP gave me a creativity CD. I'm addicted to it and use it almost every time I sit down to write now.


5. What's up next for you in the writing world?


My romantic comedy His Hotness will be released by The Wild Rose Press on March 12. I've just finished the second book in a four-book single title, contemporary series that involves characters from a small-town Kentucky. The heroines are women from various stages in life--something for everyone, I hope.

I also have another romantic fantasy rattling around in my brain, begging to be written. So many ideas, so little time!


6. Do you have any advice for the writers/readers?


My advice for readers? Read my books!:-) I'd love to have you stop by my website. My advice for writers: It's a frustrating business and not for the faint-of-heart. It takes courage to put yourself out there in such a public way, especially if you're a private person like I am. Don't get discouraged by rejection. It's part of the business. Keep submitting because that's the only way to get published.

Thanks for having me, Tiranth. It's been a pleasure!

Thanks again for stopping by Pamela! You can get your copy of The Timestone Key at Once Upon A Bookstore

8 comments:

Brigit Aine said...

Wow. Pamela you are my hero. I taught 8th grade English for 2 years, then moved on to my true love 9th and 12th graders...although 11th graders fall in there...keep me away from 10th though...shudder at the thought. Now as a Vice Principal I look back and realize I miss all of them.

I love that you are writing now! The joys of being around people, kids especially.

Sandra Sookoo said...

Congrats on your success! Your book's on my TBB list. :-)

Colleen Love said...

Sounds like a great story!!

Sounds like you've trod an amazing path, in life!

Wishing you all the best!

Colleen

lastnerve said...

Congratulations on all that you have accomplished! Your book looks really good, I'm going to have to check it out!

Val

Pamela Hearon said...

Brigit,
I started with 9-12th graders, moved into the college sector, then to my true love--8th graders! LOL! We've moved in opposite directions:-) And I can't even imagine the responsibility involved with being a Vice-Principal!

Best of luck to you and thanks for droppping by!

Pamela

Pamela Hearon said...

Sandi,
So glad to see you here! Thanks for stopping in!

Pamela

Pamela Hearon said...

Colleen,
Life takes us on many paths, indeed. Isn't it wonderful that all of them can enhance our writing? LOL!

It was fun visiting with you!

Pamela

Pamela Hearon said...

Val,
I hope you enjoy the book. My goal was for it to be as much fun for the reader as I had writing it:-)

Thanks for dropping in!

Pamela