Tuesday, January 5, 2010

New Years Bash Day 5 - Welcome Jane Beckenham!


Today we have Jane Beckenham blogging with us. She filled out a short interview for us about herself and her writing.

1. Tell us a little about yourself. Do you have a "day job?"

My name is Jane Beckenham and I live in New Zealand where right now is summer and we’re all rushing round like nuts preparing for Christmas and summer holidays at the same time – a crazy time of year, because it’s also the end of the school year. I write contemporary romance, but also have written time travel romance and my first Regency is being released by Red Rose Publishing next year. This year I was wildly excited to sign my 13th book contract! So a lucky number for me.

Day job! Hey I’m a woman I multi task! Here’s the list – wife, mother, pet lover, writer – I write 24/7 if I can, plus I work a night shift duty from home for a healthcare provider. I do their phones. A very suitable occupation my husband says, because I’m never more happy than with a phone at my ear!


2. What made you want to become a writer and how long have you been writing?

I’ve been writing about 10 years and really it was just the encouragement of a friend I met on line. However, a workmate once said to me that I always used to say I’d like to write, but honestly, I don’t remember that! But I do know that once I started, I haven’t been able to stop.


3. What is your favorite genre to write?

Oh, I have two favourites. Cotemporary and historical. My first foray into writing was actually through time travel romance which I do love. There is so much you can do with this, and of course it combines my love of history and contemporary in one book!


4. Do you have any particular writing rituals? Any snacks you must have while writing?

I tend to nibble a bit – nuts/dried fruit – and no I’m not a health nut, but it’s either that or chocolate. I used to write very early in the a.m. 5 or even 4, but it chops and change a bit these days.


5. What's up next for you in the writing world?

Well I’ve just had my 11th release – TO KISS AN ANGEL – this is a contemporary novella from Red Rose Publishing, and DESPERATELY SEEKING SANTA is now coming out in print! I have two more contracted novels to come out with Red Rose – my regency which I mentioned – A TRAITOR’S HEART, and another of my Sheikh stories –IN LOVE WITH THE SHEIKH. Plus my novels ROMEO FOR HIRE, and HE’S THE ONE, are being re-released from Samhain Publishing in 2010, so it’s going to be a busy year.

I was very excited as the reviewer from Coffee Time Romance gave TO TO KISS AN ANGEL 4 cups (stars) …”To Kiss An Angel is a cute, humorous holiday treat. Filled with sass and wit, you will enjoy Clark and Angel’s story. This is a great gift for yourself or a friend anytime of the year you would like a bit of sweet treat.” Reviewer for Coffee Time Romance & MoreIt’s always a relief when you get your first review…. Like yes, ok, someone likes me! LOL

lol yeah I totally understand that feeling!


6. Do you have any advice for the writers/readers?

Just don’t give up, but also to try and get some balance in your life. Writing is very addictive and it can take over as an obsession. Last year I had burn out and because I had writing commitments I had to keep going, but I did learn that I just had to take time out for me, give myself permission to do this – take a bubble bath, read a book. Even not write for 3 weeks! I did this recently, and played house instead, and thoroughly enjoyed myself. But now of course it’s back to work!

For writers, try and write every day, even if it’s for ½ an hour, that at least will keep your story in your head. I am the worst at trying to take time to read, but please do. Keep reading, and particularly in the genre you’re trying to work in. It’s always good to see what others are writing, and you learn as you read too.


And now… I’ve gotta get back to the grindstone. Edits to be done.
So happy holidays everyone, keep safe.


Regards
Jane Beckenham
www.janebeckenham.com
Email Jane: neiljane@ihug.co.nz

OTHER RED ROSE BOOKS BY JANE BECKENHAM
No Sex Necessary Available Here
The Sheikh’s Proposal Available Here

17 comments:

Sandra Sookoo said...

Sounds like you're as busy as the rest of us! Congrats on your success and hope you'll enjoy many more!

Kat said...

I'm totally with you on t he burn out Jane. Ever since my first got contracted back in September it's been non-stop writing for me. I have one chapter on my current wip and then I'm taking a week off to just relax. I really enjoyed To Kiss An Angel. Have a wonderful week Jane.:-)

Brigit Aine said...

Burn out is something I can totally understand. It seems when we start writing and the story consumes us that we forget about the rest of everything until it is done. That can be hard when you have any other job...especially one where you really can't write and the story is there...cause you rush home to write :)

I enjoyed reading the interview. I always like to know I'm not the only crazy one out there.

Denysé said...

Wow - all this talk about burn-out, and here I am with about two dozen things on the go and never enough time in the day to get to it all... I should have burned out years ago, but somehow the ideas just keep coming, faster than I can keep up. I make lots of notes for that day when my brain just refuses to feed me anymore stories, then I'll work on what I've already got...

Congrats on the sales, Jane... Good luck with everything, and enjoy that NZ summer!

Always ~ Denysé
Auhtor Website

Denysé said...

Hmmmm... I see I need to learn to spell, don't I? Author suddenly becomes auhtor.... LOL

Colleen Love said...

Congrats on the great reviews and recent release!

Hope you have a great summer while we slog through our winter!

Great interview!

C~

JaneB said...

Thanks ladies for your comments. Yes, i think as writers we must protect ourselves. But then we're women and we have this amazing ability to multi-task. But I ask you all to remember to pamper yourself each day, just for a bit. A bubble bathk, an hour off to just read, to sit, or heck even think would be beneficial. My preference is a 30 minute nana nap.
Have a lovely day everyone.
jane - who is sitting in her PJs still

Caffey said...

Hi Jane. I love historical romances and Time Travels! I always love to look for more of those reads! Congrats on the book 13! Know that its appreciated all you do even with all that busy time, we thank you for getting these stories out! I for one don't know what I'd do without my reads! You seem to have it pat down with organizing everything you do. I hope you too get some time to read what you enjoy! What was the last romance book you got to read for YOU?

Maria said...

Congrats on the newest release. So strange to think of you going thru Summer now because it's freezing in Midwest USA. I think that women in general forget to take care of themselves because we're programed to be the caretakers for our family and tend to do too much. Glad that you are working on balance, it's something I have to remind myself to do.

Marie-Nicole Ryan said...

Congrats on your new Samhain release. Glad to know how things are Down Under.

JaneB said...

Caffey, thank you. My family roll their eyes when i talk organisation! I have just recently discovered my husband's label maker - i am a demon with it! Everything is being labelled within an inch of its life!
Jane

JaneB said...

Maria you're right, we're the caretakers and i agree too i think we're programmed to put ourselves last. We have to remedy that!

jane

JaneB said...

Marie Nicole. Thank you.
Samhain have been great. I have another release next month with them - He's the One. Which i must say when i was in line editing mode and hadn't read it for a while i even suprised myself with the ending! I just love that when it happens.

Jane

zina said...

That would seem strange to me to celebrate summer stuff at the same time I would Christmas. I have a few of your books on my TBR list.
Zina

JaneB said...

Hi Zina
Well, we're getting a great summer, lots of sunny cloudless days so far. Hope you enjoy your reading!
Jane

Pat McDermott said...

Jane, you've written so many books. So inspiring! Good luck with your new releases. I'll be thinking of you when I put the gloves and scarves away in April.

JaneB said...

Thanks Pat.
I think writing becomes a bit obsessive, and it sure beats housework, so i figure i'll keep on writing and forget about the vacuuming!

Jane