Saturday, January 30, 2010

New Year's Bash Day 30 - Welcome Jane Toombs!

Today we're welcoming Jane Toombs!



1. Tell us a little about yourself. Do you have a "day job?"

For many years I did work as an RN. This came about because of WWII, when the country was intensely patriotic. All males in my graduating high school class went into one branch of the service or another. At 16, I was too young, so I went to Michigan State for a year, waiting to turn seventeen and a half, so I could join the Cadet Nurse Corps. My local MD refused to sign the physical until I had my tonsils out, telling my mother they were still infected and, though she’d refused to let him take them out for over two years, now she had to agree or he couldn’t in good conscience sign the physical certifying I was entirely healthy. So out they came under local anesthesia. Once out he showed them to me, saying, “Just look at all that pus.” I promptly threw up all the blood that I’d swallowed during the operation. He then asked if I was sure I wanted to be a nurse. “Because you’ll see a lot worse than that.” He was right, but I never threw up again when I did.

So I became a nurse because I wanted to be able to help the war effort. Of course the war ended by the time I got my RN license, so I never did go into the service as one. Even after I was selling regularly as a writer, I continued working part time as a relief supervisor RN. Strangely enough, I missed it when I stopped to write full time.

2. What made you want to become a writer and how long have you been writing?

I think maybe enjoying reading as much as I did triggered my wanting to be a writer. Also, my father was a published non-fiction writer, mostly about the past in the area where we lived, and he encouraged me when I tried it as a child. So I’ve been writing since I was about seven, As to seriously writing, that didn’t happen until about I was married and had five children, only to find my husband considered what I wrote “trash.” I wasn’t published until after our marriage suffered a dissolution, as California puts it. Not an easy decision, but I felt a desperate need to write that he was trying to stifle and we could were unable to reach any tye of compromise. .


3. What is your favorite genre to write?

Since my first published book, which was the first novel I actually finished, was a gothic, I believe romantic suspense with a touch or more of paranormal has to be my favorite genre. But I also enjoy writing historicals, and fantasy. I‘ve also written horror, though I really prefer happy endings. Also contemporary romance both sexy and sweet. And a thriller here and there. Also a couple of hospital mysteries.


4. Do you have any particular writing rituals? Any snacks you must have while writing?

I write only in my writing room and only on the computer these days. This goes for both story ideas to contracted-for stories. Once at the computer, I stop thinking about anything else. I do get interrupted, but am able to go back after I handle whatever the interruption was about (like fixing dinner). The writing room is only for that purpose. I do nothing else in there except read emails. I don’t snack, but I do drink lots of water,

5. What's up next for you in the writing world?

This month I have two books coming out. NULL AND VOID from Red Rose Publishing’s SHADOWED HEARTS new gothic series and NIGHTINGALE MAN from Champagne Books. A WWI spy thriller with a touch of romance.

Then I have to finish “The Charmer” a novelette for HALLOWEEN TREASURES an already contracted-for anthology by various Jewels Of The Quill Authors. We’re a closed promo group of 12 published authors (I’m Dame Turquoise) who promote each other. To help us do so, we contribute to Tales From The Treasure Trove Anthologies--up to # 7 now--and also holiday ones. Many of these have won awards, which makes our publisher, Whiskey Creek Press, happy. You can visit us online, where we do give away books at www.JewelsoftheQuill.com.

After that I’ll be finishing DRAGON’S PEARL, the first book in my DARKNESS OF DRAGONS Trilogy, as yet uncontracted.

Ooo dragons! My favorite ^.^

6. Do you have any advice for the writers/readers?

My New Year’s resolution for 2010 was to finish all the books I’ve started. If they sell, then I’ll be stuck with a lot of trilogies and series books to finish--work, but the satisfying kind. Like many authors, new ideas twinkle like fireflies in the darkness of my mind, but I’ve decided I must ignore these ephemeral enticements and concentrate on what I’ve already started. And that’s a great resolve for any writer. Always finish what you start! Especially for beginning writers, who learn from every book they do finish. Lately I haven’t adhered to that unwritten rule, getting too far ahead of myself with ideas. By this, I refer to books where the story ideas are viable, not just transient thoughts. Which doesn‘t mean a viable idea for a story can’t develop from one of those mind fireflies. So, okay, jot that idea down and go back to finish what you’ve started.

As for readers, if you haven’t managed to acquire an ebook reader yet, save up or request one for a birthday or Christmas present. You won’t be sorry. Lots easier than reading on the computer because you can literally curl up with a good book when you have an ereader. Most of them are good ones. nowadays. And ebooks are far less expensive than print.

2 comments:

susan said...

Sounds like you have a lot planned for the new year, Jane. I wish you luck on finishing the books you have started. I hope to get an ereader some day as I need to have the ebooks on my computer and I rather curl up with a book in my easy chair. susan L.

GladysMP said...

Sounds like you were wise to drop the guy who wouldn't let you enjoy your writing. But, man, you sound like you have a year's worth of work to finish. Good Luck at both getting them completed and sold.