Monday, January 4, 2010

New Year's Bash Day 3 - Welcome Colleen Love

Today we welcome the wonderful Colleen!

1. Tell us a little about yourself. Do you have a "day job?"

Well, kind of yes. I don't leave my house, BUT my day begins at 4 am and goes until 10ish pm. I get Mr. C off to work. He is usually gone by 5 and then I sit down to get some writing/research done. Our two kids get up between 7:30 and 8 and get ready for thier day, and take the dog out for his walk. Then the real fun begins. We homeschool our kids, grades 4 and 6 or above and we spend the morning and early afternoon going through our lessons. In the later afternoon they usually go and play with the neighbors. Mr. C comes home, dinner is made, dishes are washed, kids watch science programs and I collapse before crawling to bed around 10ish.
So, I think I have a day job of sorts... :) I keep busy anyway, sadly, it doesn't keep me out of trouble. hehe

2. What made you want to become a writer and how long have you been writing?

I've been writing stories with my little girlfriends since grade school. I have always been able to drop out of reality and into some fantasy world, and people have always said I should be a writer because I have such a wild imagination (Let the wild rumpus start!).

I didn't read my first romance novel until I was 27 years old and was pregnant and on bed rest. I fell in love with the romance genre and I already loved fantasy, so the worlds just came together. I think a lot of my writing stems from some of the movies I grew up loving, like Legend, Lady Hawke, Romancing the Stone, and many others like that.

3. What is your favorite genre to write?

Hmm... I cross genres so much that it's hard to say! I do love fantasy and romance though.

4. Do you have any particular writing rituals? Any snacks you must have while writing?

I usually just reread what I had written before and pick up from there. When I write, it's like a movie running through my head and I just write it all down in great detail. That's the fun part and I just love my job!

My favorite snack is Tillamook cheddar cheese, sliced thin and cut into quarters along with thinly sliced Honey Crisp apples. Oh wow, I could OD that stuff. :) Oh and an open box of Cheese Its is basically an empty box. hehe :D

5. What's up next for you in the writing world?
I am working on a suspence for The Wild Rose Press at the moment. Of course it has a very light paranormal, because I can't write otherwise, it's too mundane.

I have many other projects lined up and in some sort of degree of completion. Sometimes when I write a draft, I have to let it sit and soak for a bit before I keep going on it. Some of them just fly off the page, so I keep moving and keep going forward.

6. Do you have any advice for the writers/readers?
I do! Don't give up on your dreams, no matter what they are. :)

Thank you so much Tir! This was a fun interview!!

You can visit Colleen and get the latest news here!

8 comments:

Denysé said...

It's always fun to see what mischief Colleen is getting up to - it usually leads to one of her wonderful and romantic tales... for anyone who hasn't read her yet, you really should, because Colleen write beautiful, passionate, and very GOOD stories... always with a romantic and magical touch...

Way to go, Miss C!!
Love,
Denysé

Missy said...

My mouth is so watering at the description of your cheese and apple snacks :) I read your morning routine, and need to take a nap just reading it! I'm so impressed that you manage to get any time at all to write - tells me how dedicated you are to your craft.

I't a great interview, and I'll be looking forward to more of your works.

Missy Martine
missymartine@comcast.net

Rebecca Rose said...

Colleen I can understand the movie playing in your head while writing in detail. I too am a panster and so happy to be one. There is nothing like coming to a scene and thinking, "WOW. I didn't see that coming!"
Congrats on all the success and YES you do have a full time day job. Unless, they're tied in the closet all day; that's called sanity. LOL JK

Becc

Brigit Aine said...

Ms C is a wonderful writer full of energy and love for what she does and it comes through in her stories. Horses...though...just ask her about the horses.

Colleen Love said...

Denyse, I think Mischief and I were cut from the same cloth. hehe Thank you for your kind words. :)

C~

Colleen Love said...

Missy,
I just love that salty/sweet mix. Yum! My other favorite is dry roasted peanuts and raisins. I guess I'm just a little kid still. hehe
I love to think I'm dedicated. I think that honestly, it's such a great escape. But then I live in a fantasy world anyway. :)

Thank you for commenting!

C~

Colleen Love said...

Hi Rebecca!
I am totally a pantser! I have tried to outline stories and find that the imagination will detour that route, seemingly on purpose. And yes, I love those WOW moments. hehe Very mind blowing!! Especially when you scream WAIT and dig furrows into the ground and then the muse pulls back a few pages and lets you peek ahead... and you grin and say "oooohhhhh..." Yeah, those are great moments! :)

Nope, no closets. Kids are large and in charge. No pun there either... lol!

Thank you for stopping by!
C~

Colleen Love said...

Hi Brigit!!

I try not to go on about those big fuzzy kids. hehe But they have my heart in their, well, their hoof.
You've mentioned two of my passions and it's hard not to put love into something that consumes you on such a grand scale.

Thank you so much for stopping by!

Big hugs
C~