Friday, January 29, 2010

New Year's Bash Day 29 - Welcome Kat Holmes


The month is nearly over but we still have a few more awesome guests to go! Today we have Kat Holmes. Welcome Kat!

1. Tell us a little about yourself. Do you have a "day job?"

LOL it’s truly terrible but no I don’t have a day job and I can honestly say I haven’t suffered for my craft. A friend of mine who’s an ebook author started encouraging me to try submitting my own writing. It really wasn’t something I ever considered doing. I wrote just for my own pleasure the kind of stories I liked to read. I honestly did not think I was good enough to get published.

But, she kept insisting I try so I finally caved. The first book I submitted was rejected because of too many POV changes. The second book was rejected because that particular publisher wasn’t accepting that type of genre. But then I found Red Rose’s website and saw they had a section for Autumn Rose stories about older women and younger men and an idea just came to me. I wrote it, submitted it and they contracted it. Interestingly enough, the second book that was rejected because the publisher didn’t want that genre has since been contracted by Red Rose as well. It’s the first in a new series.

2. What made you want to become a writer and how long have you been writing?

I’ve always written. My mom instilled a love of books and words in me when I was very young. I was and still am a voracious reader. But, as I said before it wasn’t until my friend, whom I have dedicated my first book to, encouraged me that I attempted to get published.

3. What is your favorite genre to write?

I really like erotic paranormal. I like a story in which anything can, and often does happen. But I also write contemporary, interracial, and even ménage. In fact, my first release is an erotic contemporary.

4. Do you have any particular writing rituals? Any snacks you must have while writing?

I like to write when I first get up in the morning and am fresh. I don’t write later in the day when the brain is tired because I just don’t feel like I can give the writing my all. As for when I’m writing, I always need a bottle of Diet Pepsi. It’s my one bad habit and the only way I get my caffeine fix because I don’t drink coffee.

5. What's up next for you in the writing world?

Well, as I said Red Rose has contracted a new series from me. It’s about the Gods of ancient Greece and what would happen if the bad economy affected them too. I’m really excited and am having a lot of fun with it. So far only the first one is contracted but I have submitted several that I’m waiting to hear about. I’m also almost finished the current one and will dive right into the next when it’s done.

Beyond that I have a few stories in mind that are not part of this series and I’ll begin writing after I complete the next book.

6. Do you have any advice for the writers/readers?

Honestly, it’s just to keep trying. If you really believe in yourself and your work than just keep plugging away and being persistent. Also, don’t take rejections to heart. Everyone gets them. And I do mean everyone. Just pick yourself up and try again. It will happen.


Voice In The Night by Kat Holmes
Releases March, 18 2010
From Red Rose Publishing

7 comments:

N.J.Walters said...

Great interview!

Kat said...

Thanks N.J.:-) And thanks for having me today Antonia.

Brigit Aine said...

How much fun for you to be able to devote so much time to your craft. It sounds like you have a lot of fun writing.

Colleen Love said...

Great interview!!
Lovely to meet you!

Kat said...

I do have a lot of fun Brigit. I suppose it helps to be slightly nuts.:-)

Thanks Colleen it's nice to meet you to.

Kaye Manro said...

Fantastic interview, Kat! I love your answers to the questions. Very good.

Kat said...

Thanks Kaye. I had a lot of fun. And again, thank you Antonia for having me. I really enjoyed doing it.