Thursday, January 28, 2010

New Year's Bash Day 28 - Welcome Roseanne Dowell

Just a few day's left in the New Year's Bash. Today we welcome Roseanne Dowell!

1. Tell us a little about yourself. Do you have a "day job?"

For starters I’m a wife, mother of six, grandmother of 13 with another on the way, and soon to be great grandmother.

I’m a former school secretary and also worked as a floral designer. I was an editor with an e-publisher and I taught two writing classes at our community college. I currently teach several writing classes at Long Story Short Writing School.


2. What made you want to become a writer and how long have you been writing?

I’ve been interested in writing ever since I can remember. When I was young, I’d make up stories all the time. Sometimes when I read I changed the ending. I’ve been writing forever, but not until six years ago seriously and submitting. I did take a course for writing for children when my children were young, but it takes a special person to write for children, and I just didn’t have it.


3. What is your favorite genre to write?

I love romance and mystery with a little paranormal (ghosts mostly) and the combination of them is what I really love.


4. Do you have any particular writing rituals? Any snacks you must have while writing?

No particular writing rituals. I do try to write every day, even if it’s only one line. Another author and mentor taught me that. I often find, if I force myself to write one line (even if it’s dreck), I start writing more, and it eventually turns into something worthwhile.

Snacks? Any and all. Unfortunately, I’m a junk food junkie.


5. What's up next for you in the writing world?

I currently have seven short stories available on Amazon.com and my latest novel, Time to Live Again has a release date of March 11, 2010 with Red Rose Publishing. and they’ve accepted another, Designed for Love, but I don’t have a release date for that one. Check out my website.


6. Do you have any advice for the writers/readers?

Yes, never give up. Follow your dream. Don’t take the rejections personal. Just because you get a rejection doesn’t mean your work isn’t good. Sometimes the editor already has something similar or it doesn’t fit their needs. Most importantly, do your homework. Don’t send a romance to a mystery publisher (unless it’s a mystery with a romance element), just as you wouldn’t send a romance to a sci-fi or fantasy publisher.

1 comments:

Kat said...

Really great interview Roseanne.:-) Can't wait to read your story.