Monday, January 25, 2010

New Years Bash Day 25 - Welcome Angela Kay Austin


Today we have Angela Kay Austin answering a few question for us. She has an upcoming release with Red Rose Publishing in February called Love's Chance. Welcome Angela!

1.Tell us a little about yourself. Do you have a "day job?"

Yes, I do. For about 15 years, I’ve worked in marketing. I’ve worked in radio, TV, non-profits, retail, and now, I work in commercial real estate development as a Director of Marketing and Promotions. So, I get to write a lot. Not what I love to write, but copywriting for ads.


2.What made you want to become a writer and how long have you been writing?


My Mom had always been a huge reader. As a child she’d have a million and one subscriptions to all types of magazines. I would read everyone she finished, and then I began to get my own subscriptions to ‘my’ magazines. I also loved a school based reading program which introduced me to Judy Blume. At some point, it all began to come together, my love for reading and writing. My first little pink and white diary was filled daily with my AWESOME stuff: love notes to my first crush, poetry, and whatever else. I entered contest after contest in teen magazines, and in my mom’s magazines. Nothing. But I’ve never stopped, and now, Red Rose Publishing will be releasing my first book February 11th. 2009.


3.What is your favorite genre to write? Why?


IR Contemporaries. I enjoy exploring all facets of love for everyday people.


4.Do you have any particular writing rituals? Any snacks you must have while writing?


Writing relaxes me, so the only ritual I seem to have developed is that I seem always write at night or early morning. I love ice cream and chips. Not together, but I don’t know if that would necessarily be a bad thing. Ice cream is so wonderful wrapped on my couch with a blanket, and my laptop on my lap. Or a bag of chips on my desk while I’m at my desktop. I prefer hot chips. Delicious!


5.What’s up next for you in the writing world?


I’m working on a few different IR Contemporaries, and a few women’s fiction pieces at the moment. I also have some poetry I’m trying to determine what to do with.


6.Do you have any advice for the writers/readers?


The only advice I think I can offer is, don’t give up. If you own it, then those around you will believe it, too. I talk about writing to everyone I know. I try to find writing opportunities everywhere. I don’t care what it is. If it involves being able to write something, I do it.

So, I guess that’s what I’d say...believe it, tell it, do it, and of course, let’s not forget to read. Read everything.

Thank you so much for stopping by Angela!

4 comments:

Franny Armstrong-ParaNovelgirl said...

My motto is and always will be, 'NEVER SURRENDER! NEVER GIVE UP!' It's helped me climb out of the lowest pits of despair and up into the brightest day.

I love the way you think, Angela.
Hugs
Franny

Kaye Manro said...

I'm sorry I missed you here yesterday! I usually stop by and I certainly meant to be here for Angela!
Anyway, good luck!

Angela Kay Austin said...

I've been pulling such late hours, that I hadn't had time to post my responses, but thanks Franny. I have never been one to believe in giving up, and goodness knows I can't write characters that do either.

Angela Kay Austin said...

Kaye, I'm glad you stopped by. It truly means a lot that you guys took the time to stop by,and post a comment.

Thanks tons!