Wednesday, January 20, 2010

New Year's Bash Day 20 - Welcome Cindy Jacks


Today we have the glorious bad girl herself Cindy Jacks! Looks like she's talking about my favorite subject...shifters!

Losing My Shifter Virginity

There's no doubt about it, shape-shifters are hot! Our lovely host, Antonia Tiranth, can attest to that fact. Speaking of our lovely host, let me take a second to thank Tonie for having me as a guest today. Thanks, Tonie!

Okay, so shifters—werewolves, werecats and other sexy manimals (Anyone else remember that show? Just me? Alrighty then.). They are all the rage in the e-publishing world. Write a shifter story, my author friends would say, but for me, it wasn't so easy.

You see, most of my novels are contemporary romance, which hasn't as popular as it once was. Under my pseudonym CJ Elliott, I've written a couple horror pieces and a suspense-thriller, but shifters. Nary an idea came my way...until I dreamed up Lucian.

Lucian is the Alpha of a large clan of werewolves, or loups garoux as they prefer to be called. After he's injured in battle with a usurper lone wolf, he's taken in by a human woman. This is no ordinary human woman—Reese is gifted with the ability to read the thoughts of others. The constant chatter of other people's minds has driven her to the solitude of a cabin in the woods, but her hermitage proves less peaceful than she hoped due to said loup garou turf war. She takes in the injured wolfman, and of course, romance ensues.

The idea sounded simple enough when I hatched it, but suddenly I found myself bogged down with the construction of clan-histories, alternate realities and genealogies that spanned several generations. Gack! Slowly, I'm combing my way through the necessary backstory so that I might, one day, complete the main story. Hey, a woman can dream, can't she?

So here's a question for you seasoned shifter veterans, how do you deal with the massive task of creating subcultures for your werefolk? Any and all advice is appreciated!

Despite the daunting task ahead, I'm enjoying the process and the freedom of building a world where human rules don't apply. Who knows, maybe I'll become a regular fixture in paranormal fiction. Until then, I'm working diligently on losing my shifter virginity with style!

Shameless self-promotion:
Cindy's links
Website
Facebook fan page

Hungry for a sample of CJ Elliott's evil deliciousness? Check out The Wedding Feast at Wild Child Publishing

Sexy erotica more your style? Take a nibble of Cindy Jacks's spicy offerings at Freya's Bower

Contact her at cindy@cindyjacks.com

6 comments:

Sandra Sookoo said...

Nice post!

When I do the shifter thing, mine are more likely than not under a curse, or they shift as a result of genetics experiments gone bad, etc.

For me, I like the idea of them having to deal with life with their affliction but not as part of a pack, a group, etc. :-)

Best of luck!

Colleen Love said...

I'm just breaking into the whole wereworld myself! I used an ancient curse.

Great post and good luck! :)

C~

Brigit Aine said...

I haven't actually addressed how they got that way...but I do have mine in one place...however, since I tend to write novellas versus novels they are very much storyline only focused...

Sorry...

Your story sounds great though!

Kaye Manro said...

Sounds great, Cindy! Shifters are fantastic.

Good luck with yours. Your story sounds very good.

Anthology Authors said...

I've only written one. As my shifters came from genetic experimentation, I didn't have to create who clan histories...well, not really. I don't know if I'll write more than that one. (g)

Cindy Jacks said...

Thanks everyone for the advice! I can tell I'm among shifter pros :)