Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Years Bash Day 2 - Delilah K. Stephans

Kicking off our second day of the New Year's Bash is my good friend and writing buddy Delilah K. Stephans!

One year ago I was still waiting for my first copy edits for my first book. Today that book has been published and sold well, another book was contracted, been through edits and published and signed a contract for a third book and had my first round of edits. A year ago I didn't have a job. Today I have one as a line editor for one of my publishers. In five days I register for college classes. Throughout the year I've made wonderful new friends and drifted away from a few old friends. I treasure the new friends and mourn the friendships that have fallen by the wayside. 2009 was a year of wonderful surprises and some difficult lows, but I wouldn't change a thing.

One of the things I love about reading is every time I open a cover on a new book I have no idea the journey the author and characters will take me on. That's the fun of opening the book.

It's also the reason I love writing! Watching the lives of the characters change as the story unfolds. Watching as they grow together through every obstacle put in their way. I love the surprises I find with each paragraph. Each snippet of dialogue. There is nothing better than characters who pepper the story with snappy fun dialogue . Some writers do character sheets, write detail plots of what happens when. The one time I tried that, once I finished the outline I never wrote another word and it was good too. I'm a pantser. Meaning I type by the seat of my pants.

I like the not knowing. I like wondering if the hero will kiss the heroine in chapter one or chapter ten. Biting my nails to figure out how they will defeat the bad guy. I even love figuring out what the bed they first make love on looks like. That's important!

What does 2010 hold? Only the Fates know and I'm ok with that. In 2010, I'll meet new people, I'll meet new characters that want their story told and I may even get visited by old friends from previous books who need their story told. I learned in 2005 to grab life by the horns and hang on for the ride. Because unless you open yourself to what life brings good or bad, you aren't really living. I'm not going to stop following my dreams and I encourage you to do the same. Great things are waiting out there if you just try for them.

Here are trailers for my books published in 2009:

Sarah's Story from Red Rose Publishing



Black Velvet from Lyrical Press

0 comments: