Sunday, January 17, 2010

New Year's Bash Day 18 - Welcome Pamela Tyner

Today I have the pleasure of introducing Pamela Tyner, who is my wonderful editor over at Lyrical Press.

My name is Pamela Tyner. I’m the managing editor for Lyrical Press, and I have the pleasure of having Antonia on my author roster. I’ve worked with her on all three books in the Tales of the Rikashi series. It’s one of my favorite series, and I’m very much looking forward to the remaining books.

When Antonia approached me about doing this blog post, I did an informal poll to see what others thought I should blog about. Overwhelmingly, people wanted to hear about what I look for in a submission, so here goes:

Number one, and mostly importantly, I want an engaging story. I want to be pulled into the story within the first chapter. Some ways to increase your chances of doing that: don’t start with backstory (this is one of the most common mistakes I see), and give me well-defined characters who are likeable. Please note that 'likeable' does not equal perfect. I do not want perfect characters, but I have to like them enough to care about what happens to them.

Have a basic grasp of grammar and punctuation. It’s an essential skill for an author, so take the time to study and learn it. With that said, I’m not looking for perfection, but I do expect a basic knowledge.

Get a grasp on point-on-view. One point-of-view per scene. And please don’t think you can get around that by doing a scene break every four or five paragraphs :)

And those three hints will get you past stage one ;)

If you’re wondering what I personally am looking for in the way of submissions…I’m currently interested in paranormal romance (with a rating of sensual or higher), erotic romance, and bdsm. If you’ve got anything for me, I’d love to read it. Send it to: Pamela@lyricalpress.com Be sure to include a synopsis.

Thanks, Antonia, for having me here today!

And for anyone who has not yet read a Tales of the Rikashi book...go read one! They're incredible!

2 comments:

Denysé said...

Hello, Pam! Been awhile since we spoke, so it's nice to see you here. I didn't know you worked with/for Lyrical - that's great! I probably would have subjected your to a story ages ago! *lol* GREAT advice on your submission points, of course. I hope 2010 has started off well for you, too. Will have to stay in touch a little more once my life settles down!

Blessings and hugs to you,
as always!
Denyse

Rebecca Rose said...

So nice to see you here Pam!
The pointers you have given are wonderful advice and something even us published writers sometimes need to be reminded of.
Thanks for sharing.

Becc