Wednesday, January 13, 2010

New Year's Bash Day 13 - Welcome Peg Herring


Our New Year's Bash is just chugging along! Today we have Peg Herring. Welcome Peg!

As a writer, I feel like I’ve got one foot in the past and one in the future. I have a print mystery coming out this month called Her Highness’ First Murder*. And in March, my first e-book, a Vietnam era mystery called Go Home and Die,** will release with Red Rose Publishing. So which is better, print or electronic books?

While many say e-books are the wave of the future, others want a book to hold in their hands, turning pages the old-fashioned way. The publishing establishment in general rewards only print authors with reviews, awards, and recognition, but organizations like EPIC have arisen lately to recognize excellence in e-book publishing. It seems the writing is on the (computerized) wall. Quality work is now available in both venues.

I think voracious readers (like me) appreciate the speed and efficiency of e-books, which are generally cheaper, easily available, and portable. Only a few years ago, the biggest selling e-book sold 60 copies, but each year the numbers take huge jumps as e-books get easier, better, and more widely recognized. As the kinks work out and authors, agents, and publishers receive fair payment for their work, we should see more and more books released electronically.

On the other hand, nothing can beat the fun I get wandering through a bookstore, flickering over titles, thumbing through blurbs. As a reader, I like options, and as a writer, I love being published in both places. I’m just happy to have a fan say, “I loved your book!” no matter how it was delivered.

*Her Highness’ First Murder: Five Star Mysteries, January, 2010: Available at amazon.com
When headless corpses appear on London’s streets, young Elizabeth Tudor joins with crippled Simon Maldon to discover who is responsible. But they must be careful. If her father, Henry VIII, knew what she was up to, he’d be furious, and if the killer has his way, one, the other, or both of them will join the other victims.

**Go Home and Die, Red Rose Publishing, March 25, 2010. Prim Carrie Walsh has a vague feeling her life is not what a ’60s era woman’s should be, but meeting Jack Porter spices things up. When Jack’s partner in the Eagle Detective Agency is murdered, Carrie takes his place. But the killers are not done, and Jack brought home secrets from Vietnam - secrets that might cost Carrie her life. Available at Red Rose

Learn more about Peg and her work at her website!


Also a note from Franny:

I've picked numbers from a hat and the winner of either a copy of my eBook Small Packages-A Christmas Story OR a $5 gift certificate to www.redrosepublishing.com is...

DRUM ROLL PLEASE

CHRISTINE

Thank you everyone for your inspiring comments. Hope to see you again soon on another blog site or even my own...

Check out www.paranovelgirls.com for the latest details and contests!

Hugs Franny
(Christine, can you email me at franny@paranovelgirls.com so I can send you your prize choice?)

3 comments:

Rebecca Rose said...

I have to say I was very skeptical about an e-reader for myself. I love the feel of print books. Plus, Yesss I'm one of those people, I skim through the book first THEN go back and read it. That quirky habit is now being broken with my Sony E-Reader and I'm happy to say how much I'm in love with it.
*finger over lips* Sshhhh I keep it in my purse.

Becc

Sandra Sookoo said...

I got a Sony E-reader for Christmas and love it. To me, a book is a book, no matter what format it comes in. Ever since I've gotten the reader, though, I only buy e-books :-) And ever since I became contracted with e-presses, I try to buy exclusively e-pubbed authors :-) I hope the karma pays off and someone returns the favor and buys my stuff LOL

Anyway, best of luck with sales!

Kaye Manro said...

Peg, your books sound like fab reads to me. I love these kind of stoies! Good luck and here's hoping you sell many books!